Detroit Defense Attorneys Represent Motorists Accused of Traffic Offenses
SKILLED CRIMINAL LAWYERS ASSIST MICHIGAN DRIVERS TICKETED FOR MOVING VIOLATIONS
If you are like most Americans, driving is an everyday necessity, whether to get to work, chauffer your kids or attend to other required tasks. You do not want that privilege threatened by getting too many moving violations. If you get a ticket, rely on Federal Criminal Attorneys of Michigan to take effective legal action on your behalf.
DEDICATED ADVOCATES DEFEND CLIENTS AGAINST ALL DEGREES OF TRAFFIC CHARGES
Michigan traffic violations range in seriousness from civil infractions to misdemeanors and felonies, with an increasing scale of penalties. Most moving violations are civil infractions, such as:
- Careless driving
- Failing to stop for a school bus
- Failing to yield
- Failing to stop for stop signs and signals
- Using a cell phone while driving
The penalties for civil infractions are limited to fines, court costs and the assessment of points to your driving record.
More serious violations are misdemeanors, including:
- Failing to report or leaving the scene of an accident involving death, injury or at least $1000 in property damage
- Operating a vehicle without a valid license or in violation of a restricted license
- Moving violations causing death or serious impairment of a body function
- Reckless driving
- Failing to stop for a school crossing guard
In addition to higher fines and assessed points, misdemeanor traffic offenses may result in imprisonment and even license suspension.
The most egregious traffic offenses are felonies. Examples are:
- Fleeing and eluding a police car
- Leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death or serious bodily injury
- Operating a vehicle while unlicensed or with a suspended or revoked license
- Reckless driving causing death or serious impairment
- Operating a vehicle while intoxicated or while visibly impaired
The penalties for felonies are similar to but more severe than those for misdemeanors. Leaving the scene of a fatal or serious-injury-causing accident, for example, can draw five years in prison, and the term can increase to 15 years for a driver who was at fault.
WHY YOU NEED A LAWYER FOR CIVIL INFRACTIONS
Even low-level traffic offenses can add up, creating thorny legal problems. Too many points within too short a period of time may result in suspension or revocation of your license. Even before that happens, the fines and increased insurance rates can prove costly. If we represent you, we will provide a strong defense in negotiations with prosecutors and in court, working to minimize the effects of any sanctions you may face. Whenever possible, we will try to preserve your driving privileges, with a restricted license if necessary.
Contact an accomplished traffic defense attorney in Michigan
If you are charged with any traffic violation, Federal Criminal Attorneys of Michigan are ready to help. Our main office is located in the Guardian Building in downtown Detroit, close to the Wayne County Circuit Court and the Wayne County Jail. Call us at 313-329-5847 or contact us online for a free consultation.